Half the year is already gone…where did that six months go? Anywho, it’s time to reflect on the year that’s been so far in the world of cinema, and the top 10 triumphs witnessed. I don’t want to go too in-depth with analysing my reasons behind loving these films, as I’ll save that up for the end of year Top 10, but frankly if all ten are still there at the end, I’ll be happy. Who will last another six months and make that final coveted list? Only time will tell…
1. Silver Linings Playbook – in hindsight, this should have been the Best Picture winner…sorry Argo. Four outstanding performances, including the star-making turn from Jennifer Lawrence. A modern masterpiece.
2. Django Unchained – just bloody marvellous fun. Phenomenal performances by a wonderful ensemble cast, with that classic Tarantino directorial edge.
3. Man Of Steel – yes, I’m biased because of my Superman love, but it was just glorious to see him on the big screen again. And yes, the film had its flaws, but certainly far less than 99% of the other superhero movies in the past decade or so. Superman really has returned this time.
4. Star Trek Into Darkness – taking the franchise to another level. Gloriously entertaining and Benedict Cumberbatch…just wow.
5. Iron Man 3 – couldn’t quite match The Avengers (will anything?) but still enormously fun and entertaining. Lost points for the stupid villain reveal.
6. Lincoln – still completely confounded by the massive Oscar snub (ok, it won 2 but it should’ve been more). Brilliant and moving, Day-Lewis on fire as usual.
7. Monsters University – after last year’s yawn (Brave) and 2011’s epic disaster (Cars 2), Pixar shines back with another homerun! Welcome back.
8. The Great Gatsby – another visual and musical treat from Mr Luhrmann, but sadly lacking the depth and emotion of Moulin Rouge or Romeo + Juliet.
9. Warm Bodies – more romance and heart in this undead/human love story than the entire Twilight franchise.
10. Sinister – scariest film of the year by far, and shamefully not given a wide cinema release.